STEM-CAN SUPPORT (SCS), founded by retired educators, recognizes that public school classroom teachers are essential for the success of all our youngsters. Effective classroom teachers are our most powerful partners (together with parents) in raising responsible, problem-solving, caring children. The SCS mission, the very basic reason for the existence of SCS, is to help the individual classroom teacher enjoy being more effective. We do this by funding individual Southern Arizona public school teacher projects that are beyond their classroom budgets.
SCS is funded and run by by two retired educators who deeply appreciate the challenges teachers face. We know that teachers who enjoy teaching will have students who enjoy learning. And students who enjoy learning are more likely to become critical thinkers able to help themselves and others enjoy richer lives. The application for funding is a simple one page, principal-approved Teacher Assistance Proposal.
Funding for these teacher-proposed and principal-approved projects comes through our Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund (FCGF).
As retired educators, we realize that satisfied teachers are happier teachers; happier teachers produce happier students; happier students become happier citizens. And we agree with that famous 19th century orator, Robert Ingersoll, that: “Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.”
SCS GUIDELINES (2020-2021)
SCS GUIDELINES for funding of conventional (not charter) public school teachers’ proposed projects:
1. We fund one project per teacher applicant per funding year (August 15 to March 15).
2. We fund Teacher proposed projects at $100 to $600 and Principal proposed projects costing $3,000 to $5,000.
2a. Total funding for each school is limited to $15,000 per school year.
3. We fund only principal-approved projects.
4. We do not fund travel related expenses.
5. Applicant (whether teacher or principal) completes online application: https://stem-can.org/teacher-assistance ,
6. On approval, FIDELITY CHARITABLE GIFT FUND (FCGF) mails a check to Applicant’s School Principal or District.
6a. Principal’s office verifies check’s location, for if it is not cashed within 60 days, it becomes void.
7. Principal’s office emails email@example.com with Subject “ __school__ got FCGF check for __teacher____”
8. This important email should be cc’d to Teacher-Applicant so the funded project can progress timely.
Questions about the guidelines or process? EMAIL us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deepest thanks to all who help our youngsters get a good start toward success,
Stephen F. Uhl
SCS for 100% graduation of caring students
“2 B HAPPY, HELP MAKE OTHERS SO”